Thursday, August 14, 2008

the Honeymoon

I think Hawaii was the perfect place to spend our Honeymoon. We only got bumped off one flight on our way there and that was just because we refused to take the early 6am flight… its our honeymoon… who wants to wake up early :)

We had to take in some of the more traditional sites, like Pearl Harbor. We didn’t even go into the museum. Jake was happy to just have his picture taken by some of the main sites and be on our way. This ended up being perfect because the line was stretched out the door and around the building.


We then went to Hanama Bay which was probably one of the coolest parts of the trip. We snorkeled the whole length of the bay and saw every kind of fish you could imagine. The weather was bit touch and go with the fierce wind the waves would come in and knock us into the coral reef. We were a bloody mess by the end of the day but I think it was well worth the scars.


Before you can even go into this preserved bay you have to watch this stupid movie that talks about not stepping on the reef. Jake left singing along to the song that they played mostly for the kids. Don’t worry that during several moments of our snorkeling I would look up and see Jake hoping across the coral with his flippers pointing up and then diving off the reef into the deep water… I guess the movie didn’t really hit home for him.

Next day we went to explore more of the island. We went to the Dole Plantation which was really fun to walk around. We even went through this cool maze. After we were done exploring the plantation we enjoyed a bread bowl and some of the most amazing pineapple ice cream I have ever had.

We then went to Goat Island, a place that Jakes Dad recommended to us. We talked to some fisherman as we watched some old people (naturalists I imagine) walk out to the island on the coral reef. They made it look easy enough so we thought we would try it. I thought we for sure were going to die. Are feet were cut up and I was exhausted by the end of it. I insisted on taking the camera with us so poor Jake had to hold the camera up while keeping his balance on the reef. I am amazed we made it without destroying the camera.


Only later did I find out from a friend of Jakes that is native to that island that Goat Island happens to be one of the most shark infested waters known to the island.

To end the perfect honeymoon we had a romantic dinner on top of a rotating view restaurant. As we were sitting there having an extremely over priced dinner I told Jake the only thing that was missing from the whole trip was seeing some whales… sure enough I look out into the ocean and two whales leap out of the water and blow water out of their spout. I really couldn’t believe that everything turned out that perfect.


Well I married the best guy a girl could ever ask for and we started our married life off just perfectly with this amazing trip. I’m so lucky to get to spend so many more adventures with the guy I love so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment