Friday, August 8, 2008

Rome Jan 2007

Another one of our crazy trips! We left out of ATL and had a wonderful white cloud landing in Rome. Again we had to sleep on the plane and then spent the day walking all of Rome and back on the plane that night to go home.

This was probably the trip we felt the poorest on. American Express was not everywhere we wanted to be… and every shop we went to wouldn’t accept anything but cash, so we had just a little money to live off of for the day. First stop of the day was the Vatican. Talk about a breath taking view.

Here is the Swiss Guard lower ranking. We would see all levels walking around the Vatican. Some you could tell were important just by the way the strut their stuff :)

This is Saint Peters sculpture. We must have arrived just on time because the line wasn’t bad at all, but when we left it was insanely long.

Here is the Gallery of Maps and some of the sculptures that we had the chance to look at through the tour.

San Pieetro’s Dome in the Vatican Laocoon and misc sculptures along the way...





















The Sistine Chapel with the focus of God Creates Adam by Michelangelo. Probably the most amazing room of all. We just sat forever just taking in all the stories depicted around us. They had gaurds going around telling people to not take pictures so I had Austin watch for a guard as I knelt down in the crowd and started snapping shots. I was so hungry at this point that I couldn’t steady my hand. I was surprised they came out as well as they did and even more surprised I didn’t get caught.


















Here is the staircase at the Vatican museum. We probably had our best meal there and I had been keeping my blood sugar up by just eating Peanut Butter M&M’s from my pocket all morning so anything was delicious at this point.

The Trevi Fountains... you throw a coin in a make a wish :)
The Colosseum was probably one of my favorite parts. We came out from the subway and their it was. How much history happened there and how many fights and deaths happened with so many spectators. The sun was setting and it was an amazing highlight.

The Arch of Constantine right outside of the Colosseum

The Monument Vittorio Emanuele just down the street from the Colosseum. You pass some amazing history along the way but this blog would be too long if I included it all. At the monument all of a sudden cops just started to march in and vans of cops drove in blocking the area off. I can’t believe I didn’t freak out but Austin and I just stood around taking in the sites when a big Immigration Rights Protestors came marching through the streets with their signs and shouting in Italian. Thank goodness they just stayed friendly and just passed on through.














On the flight back we were stuck in ATL for about 8 hours just walking from gate to gate trying to catch any flight back home. Nothing was available and when I get stressed I don’t eat so Austin left to get food and he got to the point of exhaustion where he didn’t’ care and everything was funny to him. So I’m having a breakdown and he is in 7th heaven with his mini hamburger meal he found in the airport!

1 comment: