Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Kansas City, MO & Long Layover in SLC

Who’s in for a trip around the US? I guess Jake and I were for this last weekend. We were trying to get to Kansas City to go to a Royals game and it just didn’t want to fall into place for us. Austin came to the rescue with an idea of flying to LAX then taking a Midwest flight to Kansas City. We had a wonderful breakfast at Chilis in the LAX Airport and just had a nice relaxing time before our flight. The crazy plan Austin came up with worked and talk about a fun airline to fly on. They make you fresh baked cookies and you get all the drinks you want, not to mention the first class seating.
We rented our car and threw in a GPS for major needed assistants, because I didn’t have a chance to MapQuest anything for our trip. Talk about a blessing in disguise! I couldn’t figure out what direction we were going or how to get there and not a mountain in sight to help me feel my directions out. Even Jake was getting confused and next thing we knew that ladies GPS voice became our new BFF on our adventure.
We went to the Royals game and I will be honest with you…the last time I went to a baseball game it was the Atlanta Braves and I fell asleep!!! Yessss I know sad, but they really can get so boring. This game however was NOT boring! I have never had so much fun at a game. They were showing funny movie clips on the big screen, playing fun up beat music every time a new player came out to hit and flashing his stats for everyone to view. They would start off a cheer over the loud speaker and all the hard core fans would go nuts screaming and cheering on. The energy was amazing and the seats were perfect right behind the pitchers mound. We had about 5 foul balls come back towards us and Jake went running to try and catch them… I was usually either covering my head like a girl or wanting to run the other direction. I didn’t want to turn out like Drew Barymore in that one show where she got knocked out or Sandra Bullock in Two Weeks Notice messing up a catch and all the fans ready to kill me.
We then went out to dinner after the game to a fun BBQ place that our little BFF recommended on the GPS unit ;) It turned out delicious and I’m fairly sure Jake ordered almost half the menu which we enjoyed the rest of our trip home.


Yes Jake took his BBQ leftover through TSA security and surprising enough they didn’t even question us about it. We counted how many times we had to go through the screening process on this crazy trip and it was 5 times! 5 Times of taking your shoes off and taking your liquids out and removing your belt and putting it somehow all back together in a few seconds before the person behind you runs you over.LOL!
Overall we really liked Kansas City and if Jake gets that job with the Chiefs I think it will be a good place for him and I will love coming out all the time and visiting.
We then experienced a miracle coming home with being bumped on our Denver flight and then making a direct flight into Salt Lake with a flight that was asking for volunteers to stay behind and -4 seats open… WE MADE IT as the last two on the plane! During our 4 hour layover in Salt Lake we decided to go see the conference center and go on a tour. Jake had never seen it so it was a great time to relax and visit. Here are some of the art works that we had a chance to see. I forget how big that place is and as we went up and up on the escalator I watched Jake get more and more nervous LOL The guy is scared of heights so he had a tough time with the wide open space structure of the building and riding the escalators but he loved it all.



































President Hinkleys portrait made me cry because our wonderful guide pointed out the little smudge on his name plate where people seemed to always tap it. She giggled and thought how perfect and how appropriate it would be to just give him a little tap on his name plate as you walked by him and then I looked at his face and how happy he looked and had to agree.

No comments:

Post a Comment