Friday, May 29, 2009

Lake Powell - Lizard Combat

The family and friends we spent the weekend with came up with Lizard Combat as the title of our awesome weekend. The kids catching and endless supply of lizards combined with water combat equals the perfect title to our trip.
I have never been to Lake Powell and I couldn’t have had a better first experience. Lori and her family were so much fun and I had to pinch myself several times during the weekend because I couldn’t believe the experience I was having. It started with a wonderful boat ride with red sheer rocks towering over us on each side of the boat with the perfect amount of over cast. The house boat was like a parade of home on water. We had our private room which included a plasma TV and all the movies we could ever dream of.
We had a wonderful dinner with the family and Lori has the tradition of asking a question every evening for conversation. Our first question was “what do you like best and dislike most about being a guy/girl?” and “would you want to meet your great great grandparents or your great grandchildren?” – my answers were… best thing about being a girl is being able to have children (even though I have yet to experience it) and the worst is being underestimated (which Jake laughed at lol). For the last question I would want to meet my great great Grandparents because of the history and stories and advice they would be able to give me. We then finished off the evening with the movie Mall Cop and went to bed on the incredible house boat.
The next morning it was raining and I was so sad that I couldn’t layout and take in some sun. We made breakfast and lounged around for a while. I had a chance to get to know everyone a little better and Jake was put to work doing a few massages. That is actually why we were invited on the house boat was for Jake to do massages while we were there. I’m so proud of him and how good he is at what he does. Everyone just loves him not just for his talent of massage but his personality that is so loving and uplifting and always welcoming.
The weather finally changed from a steady pour to more of a light drizzle and Lori took us out on the speed boat for some surfing. I actually for the very first time had fun doing water sports. Granted I didn’t stay up for long but I did get up and had fun for a moment before losing balance and diving into the lake. The group made it fun and an overall good time even when my lack of talent shone through. Jake of course did a wonderful job at it and looked like a pro in a matter of minutes…okay maybe not a pro but following my act makes anyone look great.
We then came back to the house boat to have a delicious dinner. Lori and her husband Scott have theme nights and that night was going to be African night! Everything down to the costumes we got to wear and the napkin holders in the shape of Zebras, Lions and giraffes, it was perfect. Lori introduced us to another tradition of going around the table and saying things that you are thankful for. Jake of course was thankful for the delicious steak in front of him and Lori and her husband who invited us to have this wonderful experience. I was thankful for flight benefits and not just for the superficial reasons of traveling the world but for bringing our families closer to each other so we can visit them more often. Later that evening I learned a new card game called Nertz and it was a blast. Here is the link to the directions...en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nertz I lost but it was still a great time.
The next day was PERFECT!!! Jake went out for a nice swim in the rain and I watched Mamamia in our room before everyone woke up. Sara & Terry who became such a great friends while I was there and was so much fun took me out on some wave runners and we had so much fun catching the waves and me screaming like a dork. I had my water proof camera so I got some fun shots. Then Bronco Mendenhall and his family came to the boat and they were so nice. Bronco grew up training horses for his dad and just a down to earth person. Some of you might not know that he is the BYU football couch so you can only imagine how excited Jake was to meet him. Jake even had a chance to work on Bronco and he really thought Jake was a great therapist tat BYU would love to have.
We went out on the boat again with him and his family and his little boy were so much fun… Cutter, Raider and Breaker were the ideal kids. They encouraged one another and the littlest was so fearless and was first to try to wake board. He was so cute and Bronco once he got up on the surf board he did such a great job and his boys were so excited for him.
We then went back to the house boat and went off the cool slide from the second story. Here were these little kids having no problem going off the slide and then their was me freaking out at the top trying to encourage myself to go LOL!
Then to finish it all off we went Lizard hunting and of course Jake took time away from giving massages to be sure to help with the intense lizard catching.
Our theme for dinner that night was Hawaiian Luau with Hawaiian hay stacks and luau music in the back ground. Sea shells and candle light made it a perfect ending to our evening. We then had to say goodbye and head back to reality.

Weekend part 2:

We tried to stay up with Jakes Dad and watched a little of Band of Brothers. He had to go back to Idaho on Sunday so it was sad not to be able to spend some more time with him. Then we just slept and slept. I’m not sure if it was all the swimming or the sun vs. rain but we were so tired the next day and had several hours of sleep. We went to see Terminator and it was okay… really wish they would have taken the movie a different direction but it was action packed.
The next day we joined Philip and Debbie in Kolob with their family and had a great time hiking around. Hera was a trooper through it all and is now dead asleep next to me while I write this





We are truly blessed for all the people who have come into our lives. For Lori and her family who each welcomed me this weekend and not only showed us so much fun and excitement but friendship and kindness. You really can feel the spirit with them and they are an example to everyone around them. Also, Philip and his family who are so kind in every way and always wanting to do the right thing. Congratulations to him for being called as the bishop in his ward.
We love you all and appreciate what you bring to our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment