Thursday, June 18, 2009

Aviation Day / Horses

I woke up early this weekend for no particular reason other than it’s my one day to really sleep in and that almost always means I wake up ridiculously early. Jake and I went over to the St. George airport for Aviation Day. I actually wasn’t really sure what to expect and kind of thought it would be lame, but it surprised me how fun it was. We ate pancakes and sausage and sat around and talked for a little bit with people. We then ventured out to see the airplanes on display. Jake zeroed in on a World War II aircraft that is in the picture below. Next to Jake in the following picture is Flight Surgeon Evan Creed who was awesome to talk to.








Have you ever seen the movie Second Hand Lions? If you haven’t go out and rent it tonight and if you have you totally know what I mean when I say this guy reminds me of the two old timers in that movie. He had all sorts of stories he shared with us. His badge was in English and Arabic and I walked up to him and saw it and read it to him in Arabic and he was so thrilled. He said he never had anyone from the States read that to him before. Then the stories started of eating fine dinners with royalty in Iraq and learning the language. He talked of the places he traveled to and their cultures he learned from. He and Jake had a blast discussing the history of the airplane. We finished up by watching some of the cool air stunts and talking to some people who actually made their own airplanes. After that all Jake could think of was building his own airplane. We hat a bit of rain so we cooled off on the way home on the motorcycle – an adventure in itself.







The rest of the day was spent with the horses. It was the perfect day to go out and have fun training them and riding a little bit. I haven’t ridden since I was bucked off of Lady so I was a bit nervous. Of course the first horse I decide to get back on is Benji the “war horse”.
He was acting up so I tried to keep our ride short and sweet lol. You can see in this video how he didn’t really want to be ridden and was trying to act up a little with Jake (sorry my camera didn’t want to focus too well).Jake says he wasn't bucking and I say he was...you decide :).
Here Jake is roping Zelph and working with him a little bit. I finally got a chance to pet him and work with him. In the past every time I would get close to him he would turn around to kick me. Zelph and Mama did not like me after I pulled Knubs away while Tom and Jake took him to get iodine on his feet and umbilical cord. She hated me for that and I was sure she was going to strike me that day. Anyways, looks like we made up and that trust is building once again.

3 comments:

  1. I read the survivor post and laughed so hard. When we arrived your parents were barricaded in the RV because of those darn flies. I felt so bad for them. Way to make light of a whacky situation. Jake is lucky to have you. This aviation day sure looks fun. It is right up my husband's alley. Just for the record I think the horse is bucking!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sure looks like a fun weekend! I need to come out and see the little guy - soon!! And we should plan a time to go riding. You and Jake always have so much fun!! Cute post :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jodi - I knew he was bucking...thanks for backing me :).
    Nicole - I can't believe a horse lover like youself hasn't had a chance to come out and see the little one. We think we might change his name to Zoro because the black lines around his eyes are getting bigger and he looks like he has a Zoro mask on. Fun times!

    ReplyDelete